Sunday, April 15, 2012

Katie's Blog!



The major issue that I have learned about our community issue is how neglected these residents are.  While they get attention from the workers and nurses who work at Ravenwood, there are not many volunteers to come and spend time with each individual resident.  I think that this is really sad, because it causes the residents to feel like they have been forgotten and are not important anymore.  Many of the residents don’t get to see their families everyday, so for people to just take a few hours out of their week to come and visit them would help keep the residents happy and occupied.

I think that this issue effects me as a student, first of all because I can do something to change and help with the situation and secondly because I might be in the same position when I’m older.  I am able to go and help these residents with the other members of my Summit group by just spending time with them.  By doing something about the situation and being there to help our community partner plan events, makes me feel connected with the residents and the issue at hand.  I also feel connected with this issue because we are all getting older every day.  I understand and recognize that I might someday be in these ladies shoes, and I would love to have some new people come and spend more time with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment