Friday, May 4, 2012

From Katie


Accomplishments:
·       -  Forming lasting relationships with the residents of Ravenwood
·       -  Integrating other students into our project and letting them become involved as well
·       - Working and Communicating well as a team
This year I feel as though I have accomplished a lot at Ravenwood.  I’m very proud of the progress that my group and I have made with forming relationships with the residents and increasing the activities that the residents have to do.  But, I also feel as though this project has caused me to grow a lot as a leader.  Due to this service project, I have learned how to better communicate with my team, how to better my time management skills and how to be more flexible.
Summit is a unique and interesting experience.  It allows you to not only work with a group of peers, but also to live with them.  Therefore, communication is crucial.  Through this project I feel that I learned how to better express myself and to correspond better with my team.  I also learned how to manage my time.  I had to move around certain events and activities that I had scheduled in order to be able to complete my volunteer hours.  This also allowed me to be more flexible, something that I was not very good at before Summit.  Along, with moving around our dates, we also had to change the events that we had scheduled because they weren’t popular with the residents.  This made me a little nervous, but it turned out great and the residents loved the new events.
Summit is an amazing experience and I feel that I have learned many things about my leadership style and have been able to accomplish a lot at Ravenwood.  I have grown to really care about all the residents at Ravenwood and I know that I’m going to miss them!  Although, I plan to drop by and visit them throughout my college career!
- Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment