Sunday, April 15, 2012


When I was looking at Ravenwood's website, I found this paragraph in their "About Americare" section. (Americare is the nationwide organization that sponsors Ravenwood)
    "At the heart of every Americare community is a philosophy of person-centered care. This philosophy guides every decision we make. Person Centered care comes alive in our communities and truly makes a difference in the lives of our residents, their families and our co-workers." 
I thought this was a great example of a healthcare facility doing things right. It is an issue in healthcare, particularly assisted living and nursing homes, when the staff is negligent and does not put the clients first.  Even beyond the care of basic needs, attention is not often paid to older adults. Our project seeks to address the latter problem. I hope that when I become old enough to be in a nursing facility, I will have family and friends to visit me. Or maybe some college students doing a service project ;) 
The first part of their mission statement reminds me of the American Music Therapy Association's code of ethics that we're studying in one of my classes. One of the most important lines in the code is "The welfare of the client will be of utmost importance to the music therapist." I think that really is the basis for the rest of the code of ethics, and I'm glad to see other organizations feel the same way. 



No comments:

Post a Comment