Sunday, October 23, 2011

"I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles; but today it means getting along with people." - Mohandas Gandhi 
I chose this quote because I feel it is so true in any situation, and particularly in Summit. We definitely all get along, but it's important to remember that relationships of any sort require compromise, and to be a leader in a Summit project requires the ability to get along with your roommates and work together as a unit.
In my Music Therapy in Developmental Disabilities course, our professor made the comment that the most significant problems in life are not academic, but social. In leadership, having social skills is vital to being effective.
In our project, we visited Ravenwood last Saturday, and those social skills did come in handy! Some of our main topics of conversation were the resident's former careers and how they met their husband. I'm a complete sap, so it was fun to hear some of their love stories. I throughly enjoyed getting to know a few of them, and looking forward to going back!

No comments:

Post a Comment