Sunday, November 6, 2011

Smart Mob!

A week ago the Summit groups all joined together and went to Joplin in order to help with the volunteering during the Extreme Makeover Event. At first I was a little hesitant about going since I had to skip a few classes and had a lot of homework to do, but I ended up having a great time. The goal of Summit going and volunteering in Joplin was to be able to help with a good cause but also for us all to interact with the other Summit groups and learn about their projects. I felt like this was a success since I was able to talk to others who weren't in my Summit group as I was laying sod and while I was on the bus. It was also really cool to be apart of something that I've seen or watched on t.v. However, with the production aspect came a few frustrations. I felt that a few people showed up not to participate or help out the people of Joplin, but in order to be filmed and be put on television. I also didn't like how some of the things we did were staged. For example, at one time we unloaded a truck full of plants and flowers just so that the production workers could reload them onto the truck, to have them unloaded again while they could be taped. If you can follow that. I wish more people went to Joplin hoping and trying to help people in need rather than looking for a way that they could benefit from their good deeds, including the actual production crew.

As far as our project goes, I feel that Ravenwood is going pretty well. We are slowly picking away at our hours. We actually just got back from volunteering there today. We ended up watching an Audrey Hepburn movie called Roman Holiday. I was happy to remember some of the names and faces of the residents who participated in our pumpkin painting event, along with some new faces. Our group has talked about trying to go volunteer again next Sunday if we are able and then potentially trying to work during the weeks, also. I can't wait until our next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment