Sunday, November 6, 2011

Smart Mob & Audrey Hepburn!

Well these last two weeks have been a success! Two weeks ago Drury sent two charter buses full of students and a few faculty members to Joplin, Missouri to help with the Extreme Home Makeover efforts to build "seven houses in seven days" in an attempt to help rebuild Joplin after the tornado this May. Our assignment was to lay sod in a park that was designed by Drury architecture students in honor of Joplin's volunteers. I had a lot of fun doing this dirty work with my peers. I was however, severely disappointed at the waste of resources the show created by telling students to "look busy" when cameras were around, but not filming volunteers while they were actually working. I was rather annoyed when Michael Moloney swooped in for half an hour in his button-down shirt and stark white tennis shoes claiming he had been "working with these volunteers all day." Volunteering in Joplin was definitely a positive experience and I'm so glad I could help, however I will never watch Extreme Home Makeover in the same light again.

On another note, we went to Ravenwood today to socialize with the residents and had a good ol' time watching an Audrey Hepburn classic. It was awesome to be reunited with the ladies we had met before and come into contact with some that we didn't know. I love going to Ravenwood and look forward to the possibility of volunteering there again next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment